Whenever you read about vitamin D, the sun instantly pops inside your head. That is a natural perception because sun exposure for 20 to 30 minutes is the easiest and most reliable methods to get the much-needed vitamin D. Did you know that exposing your hands, legs, arms, and face to the sunlight for two to three times within a week stimulates its natural production? It regulates the phosphorus and calcium in your body too which assists proper bone structure and health!
But, the sun doesn’t always shine and the weather varies from time to time. How can you get the vitamin your body requires? There is a daily allowance to keep in mind, such as;
- 200 IU for 19 to 50yo. an average and healthy adult
- 400 IU for 51 to 79yo
- 600 IU for 70yo and above
Here, you will have the chance to check out vitamin D-rich food recipes that’ll help you and your family! First, a list of foods you can choose from.
- Fortified whole milk
- Fish like salmon, herring, mackerel and tuna
- Cheese from goat or Swizz and ricotta
- Soy Milk
- Mushrooms specifically button and Shiitake
- Cod liver oil
- Whole grain oats
- Red meat like pork tenderloin
- Grass-fed beef liver
Now for the ingredients and links to recipes!
Fatty fish are the best sources of natural vitamin D and Salmon is among it. It can give about 450 IU to 900 IU (international units).
- Salmon fillet, 1 pound
- Salt, ¾ teaspoon
- Chili powder, 1 teaspoon
- Coleslaw mix, 1 package is 5 cups
- Corn tortillas, 8pcs (6 inches) and warmed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon and additional 1 teaspoon, divided
- Lime juice, ½
- Pineapple salsa, ¾ cup
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Hot sauce if you prefer for serving
One of the basic food and everyone loves to consume are eggs! In moderation, eggs proffer lots of vitamins and nutrition to your body. Would you like to ramp up your eggs-cellent cooking skills? Check out this recipe for Eggs in Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas and Spinach!
- Extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons
- Cloves of garlic, 4 and sliced
- No-salt-added chickpeas, 1 can (15 ounces) should be rinsed
- Salt, ½ teaspoon
- Fresh thyme, 1 tablespoon chopped
- Baby spinach, 4 cups and chopped
- Crushed tomatoes, 2 cups (You may purchase the canned variant)
- Heavy cream, ¼ cup
- Large eggs, 4pcs.
- Ground pepper. ½ teaspoon
The Grilled Cheese and Mushroom Sandwich would be the perfect breakfast or snack for everyone! You won’t go hungry and be filled with nutrition too!
- Olive oil, 2 tablespoons
- Caps of 4 large Portobello mushrooms, the gills should be removed and then sliced
- Pepper, 1/8 teaspoon
- Mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons
- Onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon
- Brie cheese, 4 ounces, the rind is removed and also sliced
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese, ½ cup
- Shredded Gruyere cheese, ½ cup
- Parmesan or Manchego cheese, finely shredded, 3 tablespoons
- Shredded Sharp White cheddar cheese, ½ cup
- Softened butter, 8 tablespoons, divided
- Salt, 1/8 teaspoon
- Pepper, 1/8 teaspoon
- Sourdough bread, 8 slices
- Fresh thyme, 2 teaspoons minced
These are indeed only a few. You can find all the recipes you need by simply checking out the main ingredients and food sources of vitamin-D rich foods. Have a happy and healthy cooking time!